Saturday, August 26, 2006

What it takes to be a doctor?

I am now perpetually tired, and still operating with hours of sleep I never knew I could operate on. I feel like I'm waiting to collapse one day from lack of sleep and food that I never see coming. My body would just go haywired when I least expect it just to protest nastily to me that I'm not treating it right. I know why my med student friends eat whenver they can - its because it's very true that you never know when the next time you get to eat will be, and if you get to eat you are extremely lucky, because you may not get to eat at all in a day since you are too tired to eat so you have to sleep first, if you have any time at all. And it's amazing how you can still put on a smile and act like everything that is said is actually registering in your brain when it's actually not, and still get away with all that. You may see a med student, all smiling and perky and chatty, and he or she can be on the brink of collapsing from exhaustion and you can never tell.
I have also learned to skim, professionally. I have learned to filter out nitty gritty information instead of being ambitious and trying to memorize everything that's written in the textbook that I haven't seen before.
and I stand corrected. My gut feeling really has never been wrong, and it's only getting better, although sometimes I still don't listen to my gut feelings and it's simply stupid.
And I don't even know why I'm writing this when I could be napping. I guess this is one thing about being a doctor, we care for other people's health we think we can get away with trashing ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment